Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Come and Find us!!

Today while I was walking back to my car from the gym (that's 5classes so far this week!!) I saw 2 disabled men in their 60's playing hide and seek with their carer! It made me smile. One of the men was hiding behind a pillar in the car park. The pillar was about half the width of his body. The other man was standing right next to him in clear view laughing hysterically, yelling out "Come and find us" to their carer. Their carer walked up behind the pole and tapped the man hiding on the shoulder, it looked as though he had played this game many times before. They all laughed together, and continued on their way into the shops. All of this happened in the time it took me to strap the twins into their car seats. It was such a brief encounter, it actually made me a bit emotional, and I have not been able to stop thinking about it.

I love seeing acts of kindness. I love watching all those shows like 'the secret millionaire', 'Undercover boss' 'Conviction Kitchen' and 'Find my family' I bawl every time I watch them. I wish there was more stories out there like that. More things to lift our spirits. Instead we are surrounded by all the ugly things in the world, the news is so terrible, we read, and see so much more of the bad things that happen, than the good!

I guess that is why being a mum is so incredible. I get to tune out from all the ugly stuff, I can create my own little safe haven. I can teach my kids to love and accept everyone, to appreciate and look for the good in people. To be kind and honest, to work hard. Then when things do get difficult, which is bound to happen, we can play hide and seek and find ways to make each other laugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment