Saturday, December 4, 2010

Surprise!!!

I remember very clearly when my dad was 40! I was 15, we had a huge party. It was a great night, everyone told their most embarrassing stories of my dad, there was alot of laughing! I remember thinking "Wow, Dad is sooooo old!!" Now I am married to someone the same age! My husband Damion turned 40 yesterday!
Strangely though it does not seem old to me anymore!

Ten years ago when Damion turned 30, I threw him a surprise party in Melbourne. That is where he grew up and all of his mates are still there so it seemed like the best place! I sent the invitations which was very difficult without the use of facebook to track down contacts etc. I picked a theme for the night which was 80's, as this is the era Dame is still stuck in! I organised it all with the help of Damions family, and did it without Damion suspecting a thing... until Sarah called him to apologise in advance for not making it down from Sydney to his party! Damion played a poker face and did not tell me he already knew about the party until after the event! This has been a hard one for Sarah to live down!!  However after 10years she has more than redeemed herself!

Dame was not interested in a party for his 40th, he is a little sad about getting older, and did not want a fuss! I called Sarah through the week when I was struggling to come up with a good birthday idea for Dame. Sarah is full of fantastic ideas! She suggested we have a weekend away at the Magenta Shores Resort. The boys could play golf and we could relax by the pool! All I had to do was get him there, Sarah said she would take care of the rest! So Friday morning Dame headed off to work, and the kids pretended they were going to school. As soon as Dame walked out the door, the kids took off their uniforms and waited for Grandma to arrive!( It was a minor miracle they did not tell him what was happening. When my mum arrived the first thing Sienna did was say "Grandma those shoes are special, my mum bought you some new shoes for Christmas yesterday!" not so good with surprises.) After they had left, I cleaned and packed until Dame got home from work! He walked in the door and asked "Where are the kids?" I said "Gone" he asked "how come my golf shoes are on the bed?" I said "I don't know" He asked "Where are my converse shoes?" I said  cheekily "just get in the car" He was smiling and asking "Whats going on?" I was playing along and saying "You will have to wait and see!" He typed the address into the tom tom, and said in shock and excitement "Magenta resort that's an exclusive resort are we staying there?" I replied "Maybe"  The whole while he was smiling and saying "Wow this is great" I kept asking " Don't you just love surprises?"  To which he kept replying "Yep I sure do!" Finally when we arrived I went into reception and pretended to pick up the key, I called Sarah and said "We are here!" We drove to the apartment and walked in the door to balloons, party poppers going off, maison and a delicious mud cake that Shane had baked!! Dame was loving it! The place was gorgeous, and he was really stoked that I had done this, with alot of help from Sarah!! He couldn't believe that even the kids had been aware and kept the secret!

We had an amazing weekend, out to dinner, watched movies, lots of laughing, and even had a bit of a floor show from Sarah who loves to perform, and is very entertaining!! This morning we had a buffet breakfast then the boys had a game of tennis and a round of golf!! Dame had a great weekend, with great friends. He said it was almost worth turning 40 for!!







No comments:

Post a Comment