Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Best years!

My dad comes from a family of  9, that's 7 kids!! When I was younger I wanted to have 8 kids so I could beat my nan!! I increased the number of kids I wanted to 12, (after staying a night with a friend who came from a family of 12!!) then when I watched my own mum give birth to my baby brother when I was 20years old, that number was halved to 6!!.....I ended up with 5, and was lucky to get that!! The twins at the end were a HUGE surprise and Dame nearly jumped off a cliff when we found out! So 5 it is, not really even close to my nan, who I really wanted to be like growing up. In fact both of my nans are incredible women who have been amazing examples to me of mothers, but that is another blog!! Today I wanted to talk about the best years!! I am in them right now, I am very aware of this, and time is going fast!!

My dads mum has always told me the best years of her life where when her children were all little! An interesting concept for some, it seems many women can't wait until the day their baby is out of nappies then walking, then talking, then off to pre-school and school, and finally in high school!! Not my Nan, she loved having her children all at home and together where she could look after them, cook and clean for them and love them, and I get her. I really do know that these are the best years ever!

I am not saying it has always been easy, the early years with the twins were really difficult for me. Damion was a great help when he was home, but while he worked I did the daily routine on my own. Grocery shopping was very challenging, feeding them, sleepless nights, I wondered if I would make it through the day sometimes. I did make it through the day, and then the next day, but I had to learn to sometimes say no. I didn't do the things that other mums with one baby did, I didn't go to mothers groups, I didn't spend much time with friends, I didn't have much left in my tank most days. So I did the necessities, and focused on my family. Then when the twins turned 3 life started getting easier.

Now I have more to give again, and life is good. I can manage my days and my time, I have only 2 at home now and they are at a really great age! These are the best years, it is a small window. Soon I will hit the teenage years and have emotional struggles instead of physical sleep deprived ones! Right now though, my kids love me, they listen to me, they talk to me about what is bothering them. They know I am here to make their life better, soon they will accuse me of trying to ruin their life!! Every now and then I am reminded that this time right now is good it is really good. I was reminded of this just today. On Monday night we had a family night, we do this every week, we sing songs together have a lesson, play games and then have treats! Mondays lesson was on co-operation! There hasn't been much of that in the Tucci home lately. I had been feeling more like a slave than a mum, cooking and cleaning and being ignored when I asked for help. Sound familiar? I had been folding the washing asking the kids to join in, and no-one could hear me, or so they later told me. That night during our lesson, I had a bit of a rant and rave about the afternoon routine. The afternoon routine consists of kids walking in the door, throwing bags on the floor, asking what is to eat, eating, making mess, not cleaning up, going outside to ride bikes or play on the wii, asking what's to eat an hour later, more mess etc. I said instead of this routine I would appreciate "Hi mum, how was your day?" In response to me asking about their day, then bags up to rooms, afternoon tea, clean up their own mess, then ask "Is there anything I can help you with mum!" "Thanks for making cookies mum" etc!!!! I thought I was talking to myself but still I needed to demand this out loud just to vent my frustration!! Guess what, it actually worked!! Today the kids came home, all hugged me, smelled the cookies said "Yum thanks so much mum, you are the best cooker, you should go on master chef for desserts and baking!!" Then took their bags upstairs and asked what they could do to help! I said, come into the (scary) garage (that is dark and full of spiders) and help me find the Christmas decorations, which they all did, going in there with torches. They all helped me carry everything into the house set up the tree, clean up the boxes!! They then told me the new reindeer I had bought was so awesome and that I am really good at putting stuff together!!! Yes this is all true!! Of course in return I gave them lots of cuddles and praised their amazing new attitudes and thanked them for listening to me and wanting to help and expressed my happiness and disbelief in what was actually occurring!! A sensational mum day!! How long will it last? It is probably already over, but I don't care today was perfect, and that is enough for now!!!

Oli looking tough in his biker dress-up, braving the back garage with his toy story torch!! sooo cute! 


                                                Sienna admiring the newly decorated tree!!

                                                                 My new reindeer!!!

1 comment: