Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homework, getting blood from a stone!!


Noah my number 2 child loves dressing up, has an incredible imagination, is a very talented artist, loves to make people laugh, and loves to laugh himself, he likes most foods, has lots of friends, likes girls, loves his little twin brother and sister but hates with a passion doing homework!!!! Doing homework with Noah is harder than getting blood from a stone!!! When it is homework time he tries everything possible to get out of it, "I cant find my pencil, I left my book at school, Im hungry, I worked hard enough today I just want to play with my friends!!" You name it he says it. So after pretty much trying everything possible I thought of one last idea. I was chatting with one of Noah's friends mums the other day and she said she has the same trouble getting her son Ryan to do his homework. We thought if we started a homework club this could be the answer to the problem! My number 1 son Laith, loves to do homework, in fact I have to tell him to stop and relax and be a kid!! Yes I know this hard to imagine but it is true!! So Imelda and I thought Laith could be the tutor for Noah and Ryan and my numnber 3 son Landon. If the four boys got together on a tuesday afternoon, I would bake cookies, then they could do homework together for an hour then play for an hour, surely this could motivate them and give Laith some extra responsibility, and pocket money??!!

It worked well, of course there was a little bit of "You're not the boss of me" from Noah to Laith, but all in all it was a success!! However the play after the homework was not so successful!! I was inside feeling pretty chuffed with myself, yesterday had been a great day. I was on an emotional high after having started my first blog!! Which is something I have wanted to do for months but lacked the confidence to just start. We had a piano delivered by some amazing friends which was exciting to me and the kids as they all want to begin lessons. My house was really clean, which always makes me happy. I had folded all the clothes in the laundry which rarely happens, I was feeling great about my little homework club, and I was just about to start dinner, and it was only 4;45pm, a very productive day!! As I was wiping down the benches I listened to the kids outside and thought they are sounding a bit nuts I should gather them inside, I then thought yep I will do that after I defrost this meat for dinner! At that very moment Laith came screaming in the house "MUM, MUM QUICK HURRY YOU HAVE TO HURRY" I bolted outside to see my Noah laying in the middle of the road with blood pouring out of his mouth!! His teeth were chipped and he was a mess!!! All the kids were screaming, and I went into nurse mode!! (a nurse who cant stand blood) I quickly gathered everyone inside with bikes and sent them upstairs, rushed Noah into the bathroom and told him "DO NOT LOOK IN THE MIRROR" I grabbed ice, tea-towels, tissues anything!! I was beginning to panic so I phoned a friend for advice.

Having 4 boys you would think I am used to blood and accidents but my kids never have accidents, apart from a blood knee, there have been no stitches, no broken bones, no cracked heads. We have been REALLY lucky. Imelda arrived to pick up Ryan in the midst of the chaos, she gave me a number for a dentist and I put Noah into the bath. He sat there for over an hour crying while I held ice to his mouth, my poor Noah, it is hard for a mummy to see her child hurt so much. A trip to the hospital later that night and lots of cuddles and finally he drifted off to sleep. Today we have visits at the doctor and dentist, and in a few days he should be back to hating his homework!!

Good things out of this whole mess, Noah is not a fan of cuddles, I got to cuddle Noah for about 6hours
yesterday, and wanted me to!!!






2 comments: